Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Remembering The Day


The day will live in infamy.  November 17, 2006.  The day before the biggest game in The Game's history. 11-0 and #2 ranked Michigan was rolling into Columbus to face the 11-0 #1 ranked Buckeyes.

That Friday was like a dream.  The Oak Harbor Rockets were in the midst of a playoff run that would send them to the state semifinals.  I was in full Coach Deuce mode at this time, still wearing the Coach Oz shorts that had led the Rockets to their 13-0 start in the cold of November.  The football weekend was unprecedented.  Cloud nine would not accurately describe my state of mind during this time.  After all, what could be better than playoff high school football and the greatest Game of all Games?

Then I heard the news of Sports Radio 1130 WDFN Detroit.

"Legendary Michigan coach Bo Schembechler has suddenly passed away today at the age of 78."

Shock.  That is the only word that I can use to describe how I felt at that moment.  It was as if I had simultaneously been hit by a stinkface by Rikishi and a big splash by King Kong Bundy.  I literally had to pull over to the side of the road to gather myself.  The situation was just a complete overload at that time.

I mean, Bo and Woody single handedly built this rivalry up to what it is today - game by game, recruiting battle by recruiting battle.  These two generally did not like each other for the simple reason - they were on opposing sides during the 3rd Saturday in November.  Suddenly, the last piece of that part of the rivalry was taken from us.  And only one day before the biggest moment the Rivalry had seen..well, ever.  It was too surreal to even believe.

My mind raced to what the ramifications of this would mean.  Bo meant more to Michigan than anyone can possibly imagine.  During his memorial at The Big House, Lloyd Carr delivered one of my all-time favorite lines about Bo.  "It was my first year as head coach, and I was sitting in my office doing some work and Bo knocked on my door and asked if he could come in.  I thought about it for a millisecond, and realized I could hardly say no.  After all, the BUILDING is named after him."  And in a nutshell, that is what Bo Schembechler is to Michigan.  Every coach from here to eternity will be compared to Bo in some way.

He was gone.

The buzz around the party the day of The Game was something to behold.  It was as if the passing of a legend  brought together the Hatfields and McCoys.  It would be like Vince McMahon and Steve Austin hugging it out in the middle of the ring during the peak of the Attitude Era.  Each person had a different story about how Bo and Woody made this rivalry special.  We all realized if it wasn't for these two men, we would likely not be here today.  They made this day special.  A day we all look forward to as if it were a regional holiday.  On That Day, only one thing matters.  The outcome of The Game.  Suddenly, the biggest game in it's history just got  even bigger.

We all know how this one turned out.  That wound does not need to be pried open again.  Had Troy Smith been 6'3", and not 6'0, the ballgame may have had a totally different outcome.One thing stood out in my mind about that day, though.  Before the game, 105,000 fans stood on their feet and honored a man that they all hated for the vast portions of their lives.  It was called RESPECT.

For that one moment, Michigan and Ohio State fans joined together and honored one of their own.  It is what makes this day so special.  I could not imagine being a Notre Dame fan, Michigan State fan, Wisconsin fan, and having to watch this rivalry from the outside.  Nothing compares to it, and it is almost here again.

RIP Bo Schembechler

NRTTS
Coach Deuce

6 comments:

  1. well done my friend...as always
    looking forward to being in the bosom of the oak harbor family this weekend...anyone want to make a road trip for the "backyard brawl?" (pitt WVU)

    ReplyDelete
  2. wasn't that in 2006? I don't think anyone could honestly pretend the 2007 season could result in a #2 ranking.

    After that game I remember hoping against hope that we would get a rematch in the BCS Title game... not to be.

    This was also the game where you left me a message saying, "I'm gonna drink 'til this memory is gone from my mind."

    ReplyDelete
  3. i think deuce said that also after michigan lost to toledo last year at noah-katie's wedding. Seems that it has happened more than a few times the last couple of years. I will be heading to Ann Arbor for tailgating and of course to watch another Buckeye Victory.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And you can count on it being said if there is a lopsided loss this Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. both fans of this game could learn lessons from these two coaches ,they gave it their all during games, but after all was said and done . in my heart these two people cared and respected each other more than fans could know

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember getting the text from deuce...then just lying on the couch watching the same re-runs of ESPNews just in shock...When we were getting ready to head down to the Oak Harbor Playoff game and they showed Lloyd and the team arriving in Columbus. They walked into an empty Shoe, and circled up at midfield. I can't imagine what was said or felt there, but just watching was unreal.

    ReplyDelete