Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Lord in Heaven...

You'd think this post would be about the all the sudden not so mighty Wolverines. But its not, I've fallen into that numbness that Michigan Football drove me to last year. Why put my heart and emotional stability into something that even the players don't give a shit about? Unless something drastic happens in the next coming 2 weeks I'll see you during THE WEEK.

Instead I'm lying here on the couch, getting ready to take a nap with Outside the Lines playing on the TV. There are days when this show is boring as all hell, thus the nap, and there are days when there's some good stories on there. Today was one that just pissed me off.

Picture this:

Oak Harbor Little League, AKA "The Show" not that Graytown AA stuff.

Len "Time Blue" Gerber sends his 1-20 team out into the field to start another inning against yet another lineup his boys are ill equipped to defend. On the first pitch "Unnamed Pitcher" takes a come backer off his head and goes down as the ball trickles over to the third baseman. Unnamed Pitcher is out cold and is life flighted away from game, he doesn't come out of surgery and is pronounced dead. Oak Harbor comes together as a town and makes for a heartwarming story about a town brought together for a cause to get rid of aluminum bats in Little League.

It happened in 2002 in Montana where an 18 year old was drilled with a pitch off an aluminum bat. I gotta agree that baseball should be played with a wooden bat so that's not what motivates me to write this change of pace article. Somehow in the last 7 years somebody found enough evidence to show that the manufacturer of the bat was at fault here. A jury agreed and awarded the family $850,000...

And of course Bob Ley agrees with this whole mess. But could someone with a logical mind please explain to me why in the hell a bat that's made to Little League Specs, allowed in a game, and used in its intended matter is the reason a guy is gone?? Isn't their still the waiver that sports can involve injuries and possibly death anymore??


DISCLAIMER:

I in no way expound my knowledge of Wood vs Aluminum bats because of my vast playing days of the Nation's former Past-Time. I in fact was one of those guys that just "Came out here to Fuck Around" as Len put it after banging choppers off the blacktop at us. So I cared about the difference in bats about as much Deuce cares about the state of the U.S Soccer Midfield but I feel like this is total crap the Louisville Slugger is $850,000 lighter on their Balance Sheet.

I know the OHLL story was a bit weak, but anyone who was there for that year would know exactly the power of "Time Blue"

11 comments:

  1. I contend that Graytown was actually the MLB to Oak Harbor's AA.

    I didn't know Montana actually had a season in which they could go outside without a fear of deadly frost bite, let alone a baseball season. If the family got $850k, did the guy that hit the ball have to pay anything? This is what pisses me off about America. The pitcher knew the risk, just ask Ryan "Blood Stone" Price about taking one off the dome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with your contention...OHLL always turned into 1 team with all the players and one team full of scrubs who didn't give a shit...Myself and The D would have been on the scrubs, thus creating the great love of the game we both have.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Who would have thought that a trip out west to Marv Hansen Field would revive The D's pitching career quite like it did? It's like the journeyman minor leaguer that finally gets his shot in the bigs, only to make the most of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was just always plagued by being the young fish in an aged untalented pond. Summer early birthday always put me in a weird spot. That last season in OHLL was easily the least fun of all my little league years.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope If I ever get the chance to coach my sons little league team I don't ever lose my composure like "Mr. Time Blue"

    ReplyDelete
  6. Easily the least fun. I would put out there that Dave and Len ruined a lot of kids love of the game. I like Dave on a personal level, but on the field he dwas Lou Piniella, without the talent he thought he had.

    But 2 years prior the Rivalry between the D-backs and A's was never stronger. With two friends turned enemies Managing in different dugouts. Friends throwing high heat at other friends. Chris Windnagel in CF, catching a routine flyball then making a dive, only to flip his hat off his head to acknowledge his adoring fans. Dad drafting a guy from Alabama because "They're always playing down there he's gotta be the best guy I took". And man Derek Fish turned out to be the worst thing Alabama ever sent north...

    A town torn in two directions...good times...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Incredible how Kristi knows everything about our pasts...

    ReplyDelete
  8. only I can turn slau off of gay modeNovember 5, 2009 at 4:25 PM

    right right back to the meat and potatoes of the post, Team USA doesn't have a midfield problem persay I think it stems from having a on overly talented attacking midfield. Landon Donovan would be a striker on any team and a damn good one, Clint Dempsey although playing an attack mid/forward overseas gets on the goal sheet quite a bit. The problem is even worse now with the fall of Charlie Davies, without him up top not only is Jozy Altidore have a roommate to find he also has another forward on team USA. As a country team USA has a chance although with seeding the way it is USA will undoubtably have the toughest road to go through next summer. The midfield needs to play like midfielders the forwards need to play like forwards, we are not spain we need to stay tight to our formation the free flow portugal shit will do us nothing. We don't have the talent. If only I could have found this passion when I was a youth, I could stand proudly next to Jozy doing the stanky leg and all.

    ReplyDelete
  9. 1-13 greatest season ever ,but we did have some fun , ask and you could play there , justin evened pitch (1/2 inning) , times i love to remember those days great group kids

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm a little late here...but I have some great stories that came from this season ...including a win over the stacked team...and andy dis ceasar the only player in the history of baseball who got called out at home after being forced in by a bases loaded walk...I swear it was the most amazing play in sports history. next to shad skinner's first hit , a homer after going 0 FOR AGE 11 and 0 for april and may as a 12 year old. he crosses home only to be called out by the ump for throwing his bat....you can't make this stuff up! I loved those days!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Called out after forced in by a bases loaded walk?? This is an amazing feat, and I figure Andy must have given him a spinning back kick ala Lightning Foot Jerry Flynn for this injustice.

    ReplyDelete