Monday, November 16, 2009

1969

Forty years not so long ago for some of us. Remembering times when it was said to me, "Michigan!, Are you stupid?" And my Dad would say to me, "Actions speak louder than words. Bide your time, things will change." Then, in late November, when it looked to be impossible, things DID change. Listening to the radio (WOHO Radio) a voice shouted, " Little Barrry Pierson takes the punt at the 38. He's at the 50...40...30...10, tackled at the 4 yard line." One play later, Michigan scores and takes the lead. Yes! Over OSU! A team that had been called the greatest of the century and had won 22 games in a row. Could this be real, I thought? It is only the 2nd quarter. Many a prayer was said over the long remaining 2 quarters but in the end, it happened. The greatest upset in college football history. 24-12 MICHIGAN. When it was all said and done, my Dad said, "Times they are a changing" and change they did.

For the next 40 years looking back at this rivalry I was told many times, "Michigan doesn't stand a chance in hell" But, over the years, someone has risen to the occasion. A walk on quarterback, Brian Griese, a running back with a funny name, Tshimanga "Tim" Biakabutuka and a bunch of other no-names.

So after a heavy hearted season, I am back to praying. I feel this is our turn around time. Someone will rise to the top and be the leader and the best.

A side note... humor of the game. I played softball with a group of guys for over 20 years. We would all get together for the game. The year, 1976, OSU at home. As we all meet at the home of OSU fan, Roger Place. My Dad, age 70 was the oldest there. He didn't wear Michigan on his sleeve like I do. Surrounded by Buckeyes just before the game, Roger tells us how he has a bet with a guy in Ann Arbor on the game for $100 bucks. And he's getting 21 points. My Dad and I exchanged knowing looks that, as usual, Roger was full of shit. The game starts slowly.... 0-0 first quarter. Midway second quarter, Jimmy Smith catches a long punt from OSU and starts to dodge Buckeyes going up the field. Just then, my Dad jumps from his chair yelling, "Run you SOB, Run!" After a 40 yard return, he is tackled and an OSU fan looks at my Dad and says, "Joe, that's Michigan." My Dad said, "Who do you think I'm rooting for, you Asshole?" Complete silence. I was laughing inside. 0-0 at the half. Third Quarter, Michigan scores on the opening drive 7-0. No problem, Roger says. Later 3rd quarter, Michigan scores again 14-0. BUT NO, WAIT, FAKE KICK 2 POINTS. MICHIGAN 15-0. Roger's not smiling. 4th quarter. Greatest running back from Ohio scores for Michigan. (Rob Lytle #41) 22-0 and the final score. Roger loses and said not a word during the whole UCLA v. USC game. Dad and I laughed all the way home. I have more stories than time so I'll stop here. M GO BLUE!

10 comments:

  1. As Red said in The Shawshank Redemption, "Hope is a dangerous thing. Hope can drive any man insane." Hope is all that I have left for this weekend. Through these last seven disappointment filled weeks, I have put my faith in the team that I love so much to pull together and play four quarters of solid football.

    Now we are left with one week, one game, against our most hated opponent. An opponent that the very thought of gets my blood boiling and my adrenaline flowing. All logic points against the Wolverines putting it all together against such a tough and fundamentally sound opponent, but there is that one fiber in my body that will not let me give up.

    Hope.

    The hope that the sight of those Scarlett and Gray Assholes will ignite this defense to play better than 75% of them have any right to. The hope that Brandon Minor will somehow will his way through his last game ever at Michigan Stadium. The hope that Brandon Graham will get the vengeance he deserves after playing his heart out for the past two years.

    Hope. Until Saturday at noon, it will be driving me insane.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhh, how you gentelmen forget. There is one key thing that needs to come with hope....TALENT!!!

    "The Vest"

    ReplyDelete
  4. "The Vest" is clearly right, Talent means everything...Because of this App St. never beat Michigan, Purdue didn't beat OSU this year, and just last night CSF didn't beat the mighty Bruins of UCLA...clearly, talent wins all. It has nothing to do with just being better on one day for 60 minutes. I don't know why people watch sports, we should just figure out who's more talented and we'd probably be sending the crystal football out to SoCal again...but they just got beat by the super talented Stanford...

    I can go all day with the sarcasm, let me know if you need more, because I'll continue to let you know how stupid a comment that was.

    ReplyDelete
  5. YOU'D GET YOUR DICKS KICKED IN!!!November 17, 2009 at 8:15 PM

    more to the talent point, lets run some trick plays, fake some punts, do WHATEVER necessary to win this game. We have talent we need to put the talent where they can do the most damage. Play it like NCAA 2000 when you could put a WR at QB, put a linebacker at fullback, take your fastest cornerback and make him run routes who gives a shit if he drops one. Were only one big play from making T.P toliet Paper shit his pants and be forced to play like a quarterback and not a baby sitter of the football. Stop OSU's slaufense, swing passes, out routes and pick plays and this team will upset these pieces of shit and there asshole fans. (Any fan of a Columbus team regardless of sport is the most hated fan by other followers, they are all assholes it is amazing that since moving here anyone not from here comments how shitty OSU fans are, I think its hereditary and I feel bad)

    ReplyDelete
  6. App St- Talent came thru at the right time.
    Purdue- More talent at QB, WR, and coaching.
    CSF- Who gives a shit!
    SoCal- Stanford is clearly more talented. USC is highly overrated.

    I was also referring to the fact that this is the first year that I can remember that UM is so talentless that they wouldn't have 1 of their starters, starting for the BUCKEYES. Especially on defense.

    The sarcasm is fine but I think it's more about being a little upset that you're gonna have to hang your hat on beating a below average "fat charlie" team this year.

    "The Vest"

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't hang my hat on any win this year. Talent came through at the right time?? That was one of the best teams talent wise in 10 years that Michigan has put on the field. Purdue definately has the better coaching staff?? Wow...

    And the logic of Stanford having more talent than USC is a joke. The Trojans have more talanted backs on the bench than the BigTen has through the conference.

    Nobody gives a shit about CSF...but you want to argue that talent is so important how could they beat USC??

    And to add to it, listening to Chris Spielman this afternoon he said he'd love to have Brandon Minor in the Buckeye Backfield.

    I have no idea who you are, but you definately represent your fans well. Ignorance is Bliss

    ReplyDelete
  8. 1 starter - Brandon Graham

    He would start for anyone in America.

    Other than that...Mike Martin and Ryan Van Bergen would play. Donovan Warren would probably start. Woolfolk would be in the mix. None of these safeties or LB's would sniff the field.

    Stanford more talented? Hardly anyone can match up with USC if we going by recruiting "star rankings". They have caught USC at the right time, with their pants down on D and with a freshman QB.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Relax Gate! this was only meant a little dig at E.D. in the first place. Didn't mean to open up a fan bashing forum. But if you want my serious thoughts...

    Okay, App St is a fluke (clearly not as talented), but at the same time 2006 was the start of the Big10 crumble and what everyone thought was good talent turned out to be ehh decent at best for both UM and OSU.

    Fellas you don't beat USC like that by just catching them at a good time. Stanford is flat out better on both sides of ball (i.e.more talented fball team)

    Putting "star rankings" by a player means nothing when it comes to talent at their position. Don't confuse being an athelete with the best talent at your position (Pryor)

    And yes, it's my opinion that JT and Heacock were exposed a little in the Purdue game and your boys up north better be watching every second of that game as we speak.

    Well I've ruffled enough feathers for one OSU/UM week. Just glad the era has turned back to the Scarlet and Gray side!

    "The Vest"

    ReplyDelete
  10. this post was written as memory of my side of a great rivalry ,not a debate for hope , hope is something every team has when entering a game but strength the of a team's heart and desire is the underdog's key , and this has been proven many times for both teams in the history of this game

    ReplyDelete