Friday, November 13, 2009

Prognosticating 11-14 (Quick Style)





Time for another edition of prognosticating, where I make an ass of myself against the spread.  This will be a quick and dirty edition of prognosticating, as I don't have much time.  Last week I was 2-3 against the spread, as LSU and Michigan choked away games they should have easily covered in.  I will take solace in the fact that I knew Iowa was going to lose sooner or later, I just didn't think Northwestern would be the ones to get them.  My overall record is a very Margaretta football-like 3-7, but one big week can put me back above the .500 mark.


Michigan State (+3) at PURDUE


Chalk this one up to nothing more than the fact that I hate Michigan State more than I hate Purdue.  Just barely, though.  Keep it up, Danny Hope.  Don't let last week's whooping of Western Michigan fool you, Michigan State is still a mediocre football team.  That being said, Purdue is equally as mediocre, but they have a talent for winning games they have no business winning.  I think Joey Elliot leads the Boilers to not only cover this, but win it outright.


OHIO STATE (+16.5) vs. Iowa


Iowa QB Ricky Stanzi is out for this one, which would usually spell doom for any offense.  Not this one.  I think with a week of preparation, any QB would be more productive than Ricky "Pick Six" Stanzi.  The guy is more turnover prone than Jay Cutler, which is saying something.  (Cutler is the biggest bust this season, hands down)  The thing that gives me caution about this one is that the Ohio State defense is really, really good.  I just don't see Ohio State being able to put the kind of points up they are going to need to cover this one by 16.5.  Give me Iowa.


Texas (+23.5) at BAYLOR


Murder city.  Texas all the way.


ILLINOIS (+5) vs. Northwestern


I'm all aboard the Juice-Train, as he continues to try and salvage his pathetic senior season.  I'll take the Zookers over the smart kids, and I'll even give the five points.


WISCONSIN (+8.5) vs. Michigan


The John Thompson Bowl, as Wisconsin tries to gain some measure of revenge as they remember that Michigan somehow beat them last year.  Of course, Michigan is in disarray in all sense of the word, and Wisconsin is their usual bland but effective selfs.  There are two major wild cards in this game for Michigan.  1) Denard Robinson is likely going to start and 2) Mike Williams will finally see the bench, as Brandon Smith will likely move into his role as an 8th guy in the box.  If Brandon Minor is not healthy, which I doubt he will be (after all, can you really expect a player to play 2 games in a row?)  Denard brings another option to the offense.  If Michigan can get some zone read going, then I like the move because Denard is a legit threat to score and make big plays on that play, unlike Tate.  As far as the other move, I say it is about damn time.  Brandon Smith may not have a future as a safety (LB), but in this game he will be a perfect fit.  John Clay will be ready to go, so Michigan is going to have to stack the box and play some man-on-man coverage on not only the outside receivers, but the TE's.  Smith and Stevie Brown present pretty good matchups for Michigan...well, better matchups than Mike Williams vs. anybody.  This is about as tough of a call as you can get, but I can't pick against my Wolverines. MICHIGAN WILL COVER, because...what the hell, why not?


That is all for today, one more week until The Game!


NRTTS
Coach Deuce



1 comment:

  1. I think a start and a full game at QB for Denard will end up favorably this week. Having him in a situation where he is not always expected to run is much better than having him on the field in gimmick formations. Last week he came in at running back for one play and got stuffed on that one play. What do you expect? Let him get reps where the whole defense isn't keying on him to run the ball.

    ReplyDelete