Friday, October 30, 2009

Prognosticating 10-31

darth.jpg image by wolverinejoe

This weekend brings all the ghouls, goblins, and most importantly, slutty police officers out in full force as college campuses across the nation celebrate Halloween, aka Excuse To Dress Like A Hooker Day.  I have never really been a big Halloween guy, mostly because I am too lazy to get a good costume, but also because Halloween usually falls on a Michigan football Saturday.  The most memorable Halloween moment happened in my first year at Kent State.  Down by 17 with 7 minutes to go against Michigan State, Braylon Edwards decided to single handedly win the game in what is now simply called "The Braylon Game."  I was almost ready to turn the TV off and start the festivities until reserve FB/TE Brian Thompson recovered an onside kick that reinvigorated my hopes.  The rest is history on that one.

So what will this Halloween bring to the world of college football this year?  I'm trying something a little different here this week, as I will be picking 5 games against the spread and keeping a total to be updated through the rest of the year.  I always like to think that I could make a good sports better, now we will find out.  Onto the picks! (Home team will be CAPS)

IOWA (+17.5) vs. Indiana


I really hate that Iowa is starting to get national title talk.  The absolute worst scenario for the Big Ten would be for an undefeated Iowa team to sneak through the rest of their Big Ten schedule, into the National Title game against Florida, Texas, or Bama, and then receive the inevitable 35 point beatdown.  Iowa is not that good.  Do not get me wrong; Iowa is a good football team.  However, if they are put up against any of the three teams I mentioned above they would be overwhelmed like Dane Sanzenbacher in the NFL.  Iowa simply does enough to get by.  I have already heard comparisons of Iowa 09' to Ohio State 02'.  One huge difference: NFL talent.  That Buckeye team was loaded with NFL talent, while this Iowa team trots out a bunch of overachievers who do not make mistakes.  I like Iowa to win this game, but I will take a very improved Indiana team to cover the 17.5.

Penn State (+17) at NORTHWESTERN


This Penn State team will be trouble for the rest of the Big Ten as the year goes on.  They are starting to get healthy, with All-American LB Sean Lee rejoining Navarro Bowman and That Guy With The Awesome Mustache  to make a very formidable linebacking core for Linebacker U.  The offense got on track last week against Michigan, and Darryl Clark is showing signs of being the best QB in the Big Ten again.  I think Penn State runs the table the rest of the way out, and will be in Pasadena for the second straight year.  I like them to cover here against Northwestern, riding the momentum they gained last week with that spanking they gave Michigan in the Big House.

USC (+3) at OREGON


This one is going to be insane.  Last time USC played in Autzen Stadium, the Duck crowd set a national record for decibel level in a stadium.  I fully expect that crowd to match the intensity, as this game is essentially the Pac-10 title game.  The game will depend on how QB Matt Barkley responds to this crowd.  A huge advantage for him will have been to gone into Ohio Stadium and won earlier in the year.  Make no mistake though, Autzen is not Ohio Stadium; it's better.  Oregon has the best home field advantage in the entire nation, and the Ducks will be fired up and sporting some crazy new uniform design.  That being said, I do not think Oregon has the "Ducks" to compete with USC right now.  I like USC to win the game outright on the strength of a big day by WR Ronald Johnson.

OHIO STATE (+44) vs. New Mexico State


The Buckeyes get their cream puff for the year, as the mighty New Mexico State Aggies roll into Columbus.  This game (like the Delaware State game for Michigan) is the unfortunate result of the Big Ten refusing to go to a round robin schedule, while still having to add the 12th game.  I expect no trouble for the Buckeyes in this one, as they will simply try to stay injury free.  That 44 point spread is a tough one to call for a Jim Tressel coached team.  I am going to take NEW MEXICO STATE to cover the 44 point spread with a late touchdown against the scrubs.

Michigan (+7) at ILLINOIS


This game will swing Michigan's season one way or the other.  With a loss, the distinct possibility of 5-7 comes into play with remaining games against Purdue, at Wisconsin, and home against Ohio State.  Illinois put one on Michigan last year, with Juice Williams having a typical spread QB against a Michigan defense day.  However, Juice has struggled this year, and will split some time with pocket passing QB whose name escapes me now, but is much less scary than Juice Williams.  The Illini play-action passing game is what scares me in this one, as our safeties have been less than stellar against this all year.  If Michigan can avoid giving up the big play in the passing game, than I think they can stifle this Illinois offense.  Offensively, Michigan must establish a consistent running game and AVOID NEGATIVE PLAYS.  These plays have killed Michigan in the last couple games, with holding calls, illegal formations, and 3 yard losses effectively killing drives.  Also, the receivers need to get rid of their inner Brian Ceraldi's and catch the damn ball.  That being said, I think Michigan comes out and takes care of business against a reeling Illini squad, covering the spread and winning  by a couple touchdowns.

That does it for this post, hope everyone has a good Halloween weekend.  After Saturday, only 21 days until The Game.  Start getting pumped, and...

NRTTS
Coach Deuce

17 comments:

  1. So Coach Deuce what is your take on the World Series? Is Cliff Lee's performance among the top 10 World Series pitching performances of all time? Do the Yankees beat him second time around? Has A'Rod gone back into his playoff slump striking out 75% of his at bats? And how do you predict the series to turn out after all is said and done?

    -Price

    ReplyDelete
  2. I caught a TD with the center against Price/BuhroOctober 30, 2009 at 12:39 PM

    I for one never gave up on "The Braylon Game" like with all cocky, highly errogant and african american talent in College Football like Ukee Dozier for example, or most recently Morgan Trent (NFL CB MORGAN TRENT TO YOU)- I remember the fight that broke out as I Berated Alex on his willingness to give up on a team that had such "hood talent as I called it" Just goes to show you that a broken clock is right twice a day, and I'm right all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I caught a TD with the center against Price/BuhroOctober 30, 2009 at 12:41 PM

    p.s Baseball Sucks

    ReplyDelete
  4. I bet OSU doesn't cover the spread, their offense is too awful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That touchdown by our center was one of the greatest moments in video game history. Stefan on the throw (team and quarterback name escape me), Andy on the catch, Buhro and Price in stunned disbelief.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, 5 responses in less than two hours. That is a NRTTS record!

    First off - World Series thoughts.

    Cliff Lee has been an absolute stud in the playoffs, and if the Phillies win he would be my choice for "Playoff MVP". His performance in Game 1 was not very surprising for me, as he has done what he has been doing for the past 2 years. He throws strikes, has just enough velocity, and has a nasty curveball that makes 13 year old Coach Deuce jealous. I think there is a chance the Yanks beat him a second time around just because baseball is weird like that. I don't get caught up too much in stats because it is such a short sample period. That being said, Lee will definitely be in the Yankees heads, and it will take some early success against him to give them a chance.

    As for A-Rod, it is tough to say at this point. He has looked as lost as Buhro in video game coverage through the first two games, but he was on fire before that. Good news for the Yanks is Tex's big home run may snap him out of his slump.

    Yankees in 7.

    And I always felt sorry for the Price/Buhro duo in any gaming capacity. Two players that liked to play, but weren't quite the hardcore gamers that their adversaries were. Made for a bad recipe, especially when Buhro starts throwing around the "total bullshit" accusations.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We all felt sorry...but we couldn't look away. Those nights was almost like an WWF PPV from the Corporate Rock era. When Steve Austin (Andy/Stef) had to face an unknown shitty tag team (Price/Buhro) in an early undercard match where Austin would dispatch his advisaries quickly and with much taunting to the champ.

    The main even was different...after a stunner to get the Austin camp ready to celebrate....Only for the Corporate Elbow to come down on your Monkey Ass (See also: PK Sam)

    ReplyDelete
  8. We owned Slau's house. We played our best ball there.

    ReplyDelete
  9. THERE WILL NEVER BE A BETTER SS/MLB COMBO!October 30, 2009 at 10:42 PM

    I believe today we would beat them at any game, at that time Eric was more dedicated Alex was a little bit more manageable at this point there would be leadership issues. That coupled with the coaches lack of experience on a ps3 which he plays about as much as Bobby K. Also as I remember it the center TD was in Stefans living room we always have a different opinion on location perhaps price or buhro could look back and seperate that beat down from the other 276 and give us a third perspective - furthermore as I remember it only Stefan and myself would turn down a million dollars if forced to give up video games imagine how far that dedication can take our 2 man team into what I would now call veteran status

    ReplyDelete
  10. baseball is only good for ball park dogsOctober 30, 2009 at 10:46 PM

    if we are asking coach questions about sports most of the united states hates, with the MLS playoffs starting this weekend, how do you feel the teams will finish out?

    ReplyDelete
  11. so Chelsea vs Bolton, who yall got

    ReplyDelete
  12. I swear to god that wasn't my comment!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So you are saying that Anonymous at 10:53 was not your comment?

    I think the UFL is already bigger than the MLS. I mean, at least I can name 5 players from the UFL. Tatum Bell, Michael Pittman, Simeon Rice, JP Losman, and Joe Germaine. Okay, I made Joe Germaine up but doesn't he sound like he should be in the UFL?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Who is this anonymous??? Seriously, you wanna talk soccer we can talk soccer. I watch/know just enough to know how to make fun of the game...Agree on UFL bigger than MLS easily...13 posts...this blog is getting huge!!

    The Center TD was in Slau's living room...I remember coming out of this shitter and standing at the fireplace watching it...It was that epic...I'll give them that...

    To throw my predictions out: Yanks in 6, Crew win the Cup, Bolton over Chelsea in upset for the ages, and Gate Deuce in 7. I'm thinking the night befor or after the OSU game...If I get the projector by then, basement of the Bobby K

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well I don't know what the hell to say about this team...Actually, I do, and probably will tomorrow after a heavy dose of drinking tonight...check back tomorrow

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow quite the post. So as I recall from first hand experience, THE center catch. While the offense was coming to the line (Syracuse?), I'll remind you this was another classic ass kicking. Anyways, Andy states I am going to catch this one with the center. Buhro and myself laughing, no more than 5 seconds letter "The Gift" as I will refer to it occured. Likely in my opinion a play that probably will only happen once in my lifetime of video games.

    I will remind you that Buhro was always the quarterback in these situations and I will only take 25% of the blame for our many defeats at the hands of much more experienced gamers (aka the team of Joe Books & Christopher) haha oh sorry I meant Stefan & Andy.

    -Price

    ReplyDelete
  17. HAHAHA - nice, Price. I don't even know if I ever played NCAA with anyone...both for disinterest, poor gaming skills, and lack of anyone willing to take me as a teammate. I mostly would shuttle to and from the snack cabinet at Slau's or be in the computer room with Conns at Stefan's.

    Let's put it this way, I'd take that million dollars and swear off gaming. Though, I'd probably donate some to Stef and Andy for their staunch dedication - it's only fair, right?

    ReplyDelete